In this article today I will guide you about a pain killer medicine which is Hydrocodone, its uses side effects if I don’t take a dos, if I over does etc.
What is hydrocodone?
It is a medicine which is used for the clock treatment of the severe pain. Hydrocodone is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.
You should not take hydrocodone if you have the following problems:
- any type of breathing problem
- lung disease
- a history of head injury
- brain tumor
- a history of drug abuse
- alcohol addiction
- mental illness
- urination problems
- liver disease
- kidney disease;
- a heart rhythm disorder called long QT syndrome;
- a blockage in your stomach or intestines
- problems with your gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid;
How should I take hydrocodone?
Take hydrocodone according to the prescription by your doctor. Follow all the prescription carefully. Tell your doctor about the medicine if it seems to stop working in treating your symptoms. Also tell your doctor daily about your problems.
Some precautions given below you should follow while taking this medicine:
Before taking this medication tell your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history specifically if you are suffering from any brain disorders, having some breathing problems, kidney or liver disease problem or any family disorder. So doctor can advice you in a better way whether to take this medicine or not and how to take it.
Some Side effects of Hydrocodone are as follows:
Side effects of Hydrocodone:
- weak or shallow breathing
- pain or burning when you urinate
- severe drowsiness
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out
- missed menstrual periods
- sexual problems, loss of interest in sex
- low cortisol levels – nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, worsening tiredness or weakness
- stomach pain or nausea or vomiting;
- dry mouth
- swelling in your hands or feet
- muscle pain
- back pain
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- mild drowsiness, tired feeling;
What happens if I miss a dose?
If you have ever missed the dose don’t worry take it as soon as possible whenever you remember that you didn’t take the medicine. Do not take the extra medicine skip the dose which you have forgotten to take if it is almost time for your next dose. Don’t try to overdose it.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of hydrocodone can be very dangerous for you or for your loved one. If this issue occurs, unfortunately, seek medical emergency or medical help as soon as possible call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid?
- If you are taking hydrocodone regularly then you should avoid drinking alcohol because it has dangerous side effects which can harm you badly.
- Be careful while you are driving because hydrocodone can also reduce your memory or think ability
- Do not breast-milk your newborn child if you are taking hydrocodone regularly it may harm him/her badly.
Can I Take hydrocodone During Pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Never take hydrocodone medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. It is not recommended for the pregnant women to use hydrocodone because It will harm the unborn baby. Similarly, if you have a little baby and she needs mothers milk then also you should not use hydrocodone medicine. Talk with your doctor about pain management options during your pregnancy. You should also use caution and talk with your doctor about hydrocodone if you are breastfeeding.
You can take other medicine instead of hydrocodone or which is the alternative of hydrocodone by consulting with your doctors so you may not face any issue.
Dosage information of Hydrocodone:
The initial dose should be of 10 mg orally after every 12 hours which may be continue for 3-7 days depending upon the condition.
The maximum dose can be take up to 30 40 or 50 mg depending upon the condition of the patient.
But it is better to consult with doctor while taking higher or maximum dose.
Hope so you have enjoyed this article of hydrocodone and all things related to hydrocodone including its side effects, overdose, miss dose, precautions etc.
If you need more interesting and amazing articles like this keep subscribing our blog regularly and keep connected for more updates.
Till then take care and Bye Bye!!!